Saturday, March 15, 2008
1 Recipe #35: Whiskey Shrimp A-Go-Go!
Next up, an original dish made with whiskey, which I've named "Whisky Shrimp A-Go-Go."
I just realized that the order in which I've posted these recent booze-infused recipes thus far is almost identical to the one rattled off in that old George Thorogood song. All you classic rock folks will know the one I'm talking about: "...One Bourbon, one whiskey, one beer. Ah-wah-hah-hah-hah......" ;-)
(Well, to be fair, those aren't the exact lyrics. It's actually, "...one Bourbon, one Scotch, & one beer." But close enough! And anyhow, I didn't exactly have a bottle of Scotch just lying around my house to use as the basis for my next recipe. ;-) )
But let's return to original subject of this post: Whiskey & shrimp. I made the aforementioned "Whiskey Shrimp A-Go-Go" dish for dinner earlier tonight & it was another smashing success. So, below is that delicious recipe, for all of you to enjoy:
Whiskey Shrimp A-Go-Go (Shrimp Stir Fry)
1/8 c. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 c. blended whiskey
1/2 pint mushrooms, sliced into 1/4" thick pieces
salt, to taste
1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined, with tails removed
1/8 c. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. Lite (low-sodium) soy sauce
2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled & sliced julienne (NOTE: Can also use 1 tsp. dried ginger)
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes (optional; for a hotter dish, add 1 tsp. instead)
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
6 green scallions, finely sliced
1. Heat a wok (or skillet) to medium-high heat. Add sesame oil & garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, but do not let garlic brown.
2. Add 1/2 c. whiskey to deglaze pan.
3. Then add sliced mushrooms, & sprinkle salt on top help remove moisture.
4. After mushrooms have cooked, add shrimp, stirring often.
5. Immediately following, add rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, & remaining 1/2 c. of whiskey.
6. Next, add the ginger root, & stir.
7. Sprinkle freshly ground pepper, & red pepper flakes (if using) on top of the shrimp. Mix well.
8. Cook shrimp until they turn pink. NOTE: Shrimp will cook fairly quickly, so be sure to watch the stove, so they don't overcook.
9. Divide into 2 portions & put on a plate. Garnish each portion with sesame seeds & scallions, & serve. Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 2 servings.